Are you intimidated by the media harangues about the drastic measures to save the planet? Here are some simple things you can do in your daily lives to do your bit before you take on the world.
1. Thou shall not feed the vampire – vampire power is the charge that is being drained at night by your plugged devices that are in standby mode like your cell phone chargers, TV, microwaves, etc. Even these tiny bits of power multiplied by thousands of households means wasted energy when it is over a period of 24 hours.
2. Do not let thine water run in vain – many people have the tendency to leave taps running while brushing teeth. Hold a mug under the tap as you wash and you will have enough water to rinse your razor while you shave. Avoid rinsing your razor under running water.
3. Thou shall not shower – collecting water in a bucket and bathing saves a significant amount as opposed to using the shower.
4. Thou shalt listen for the devil’s drip – listen for dripping faucets and running toilets. Fixing a leak can save hundreds of gallons a month or more.
5. Thou shall wash only when thou has no shirt on your back – Run your washing machine only when it is full. You can save up to 1,000 gallons a month.
6. Remember to use the besom wisely – Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your driveway and sidewalk and save water.
7. Thou shall use the water of thine fruit – Collect the water you use for rinsing fruits and vegetables to water houseplants.
8. Thou shall live of the power of the stars – install a solar heater on your terrace. It does not cost much.
9. Thou shalt use the same cloth to wipe the sweat of thy brow – reuse towels while staying in a hotel or even at home.
10. Above all honor Nature – do your bit in your neighbourhood, plant trees, encourage rain water harvesting, switch off street lights every morning.